Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kuli and the blou fish

My new T-shirt idea: A drugged out fish , with its two front teeth missing, and hair rollers in its dorsal fin. Underneath the phrase "Jou Ma Se Kuli".

My colleague Vumani says "Don't wear that in Durban". And just like that it's over.

I might have thought about a long an rational response to the whole debacle – from the article in question (which has now been erased from existence - or at least the web - forevah), to the overreaction from the public and even Ferial Haffajee (for whom I have big respect all round).

But to be honest, I couldn't be bothered. So I think I'll just let iAfrica columnist Rebekah Kendal say it for me:

"A discerning editor should have rejected the piece outright because it was an awful piece of writing. Any editor with a modicum of sense would also have seriously debated publishing an article which offends simply for the sake of offence. This is not a hard-hitting piece of journalism on which to stake the reputation of your publication. In the long run, it is not even worth the easy hits the hype around the piece will generate."

Right, where's my  fish?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment